Skip to Main Content
Raising native plants in nurseries: basic conceptsAuthor(s): R. Kasten Dumroese; Thomas D. Landis; Tara Luna
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-274. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 84 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (16.43 MB)
DescriptionGrowing native plants can be fun, challenging, and rewarding. This booklet, particularly the first chapter that introduces important concepts, is for the novice who wants to start growing native plants as a hobby; however, it can also be helpful to someone with a bit more experience who is wondering about starting a nursery. The second chapter provides basic information about collecting, processing, storing, and treating seeds. Chapter three focuses on using seeds to grow plants in the field or in containers using simple but effective techniques. For those native plants that reproduce poorly from seeds, the fourth chapter describes how to start native plants from cuttings. The final chapter provides valuable information on how to successfully move native plants from the nursery and establish them in their final planting location. Several appendices expand on what has been presented in the chapters, with more details and specific information about growing a variety of native plants.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDumroese, R. Kasten; Landis, Thomas D.; Luna, Tara. 2012. Raising native plants in nurseries: basic concepts. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-274. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 84 p.
Keywordsnative plants, nursery, seeds, containers, cuttings, planting
- Something new - the Native Plants Journal
- Collecting, processing, and storing seeds [Chapter 7]
- Non-native plants and wildlife in the Intermountain West
XML: View XML