Skip to Main Content
Manual herbicide application methods for managing vegetation in Appalachian hardwood forestsAuthor(s): Jeffrey D. Kochenderfer; James N. Kochenderfer; Gary W. Miller
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS 96. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 59 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (2.73 MB)
DescriptionFour manual herbicide application methods are described for use in Appalachian hardwood forests. Stem injection, basal spray, cut-stump, and foliar spray techniques can be used to control interfering vegetation and promote the development of desirable reproduction and valuable crop trees in hardwood forests. Guidelines are presented to help the user select the appropriate technique and herbicide for various forest management goals. Instructions for preparing appropriate herbicide concentrations are also provided. Photos illustrate the various application methods and the tools needed to apply herbicides safely and effectively, depending on the target plants to be controlled.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationKochenderfer, Jeffrey D.; Kochenderfer, James N.; Miller, Gary W. 2012. Manual herbicide application methods for managing vegetation in Appalachian hardwood forests. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS 96. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 59 p.
Keywordsherbicides, Appalachian hardwoods, stem injection, basal spray, cut-stump treatment, foliar spray, silviculture
- Economics of herbicide application methods in hardwoods
- Preharvest manual herbicide treatments for controlling American beech in Central West Virginia
- Effects of thinning and herbicide application on vertebrate communities in longleaf pine plantations
XML: View XML