Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Biomass equations for major tree species of the NortheastAuthor(s): Louise M. Tritton; James W. Hornbeck
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-69. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station. 46 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.5 MB)
DescriptionRegression equations are used in both forestry and ecosystem studies to estimate tree biomass from field measurements of dbh (diameter at breast height) or a combination of dbh and height. Literature on biomass is reviewed, and 178 sets of publish equation for 25 species common to the Northeastern Unites States are listed. On the basis of these equations, estimates of aboveground oven-dry weight of trees from 2.5 to 50.0 cm db for each species are presented and discussed. When the general estimates of standing crop are required for commercial purposed or for assessment of nutrient removal by tree harvest, the published equations may be used with precaution instead of developing new equations. When statistical comparisons of productivity or the ecology of site types are required, published equations are not suitable and development of site-specific equations is recommended
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTritton, Louise M.; Hornbeck, James W. 1982. Biomass equations for major tree species of the Northeast. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-69. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station. 46 p.
Keywordswhole-tree, weight, estimation, regression, equations, stand biomass, dimension analysis, standing crop
- Effects of model choice and forest structure on inventory-based estimations of Puerto Rican forest biomass
- Effects of Model Choice and Forest Structure on Inventory-Based Estimations of Puerto Rican Forest Biomass.
- Allometric equations for estimating tree biomass in restored mixed-species Atlantic Forest stands
XML: View XML