Skip to Main Content
Stream water quality in the coal region of West Virginia and MarylandAuthor(s): Kenneth L. Dyer
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-70. Broomall, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station. 215 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (67.06 MB)
DescriptionThis report is a compilation of water quality data for 118 small streams sampled in 27 counties of West Virginia and nine streams in two counties of western Maryland. Forty-eight of these streams drain unmined watersheds; 79 drain areas where coal has been surface mined. Most of these streams were sampled at approximate monthly intervals. The water quality data from these streams are presented in this report and should help fill the need for data from small watersheds in West Virginia and Maryland. Data reported include the common ions, alkalinity, acidity, pH, 16 trace elements, 5 nitrogen and phosphorus species, specific conductance, suspended solids, turbidity, settleable matter, water temperature, and estimated discharge. Data contained in this report should not only be useful in assessing the environmental impacts on stream water quality of old and recent surface-mining for coal, it should also provide a data base of small reference watersheds which can serve as a basis for future studies. The report covers the period June 9, 1977 to November 9, 1979.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDyer, Kenneth L. 1982. Stream water quality in the coal region of West Virginia and Maryland. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-70. Broomall, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station. 215 p.
- pH in streams draining small mined and unmined watersheds in the coal region of Appalachia
- Survey responses from Region 9: Are we achieving the public's objectives for forests and rangelands?
- Accuracy in streamflow measurements on the Fernow Experimental Forest
XML: View XML