Skip to Main Content
Activity of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) Exposed to Nestmates Treated with Slow-Acting Nonrepellent TermiticidesAuthor(s): J.E. Mulrooney; R. D. Hasse; T. L. Wagner; P. D. Gerard
Source: Sociobiology 50(1):71-86
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.02 MB)
DescriptionA 32-channel acoustical event detector was used to monitor termite activity in donor/recipient bioassays of slow-acting nonrepellent termiticides. Acoustical detection of termite activity illustrated termite mortality over time, attributed to termiticides moving from donors to recipients. In the first of two donor-recipient experiments, worker termites (donors) were exposed for 1.0 h to sand treated with 50 ppm concentrations of fipronil or imidacloprid. Donors were then combined with recipients at 5% of the total population of 200 workers. Termite activity was monitored for 14 d. Only fipronil significantly reduced termite activity (sound events), survival, and wood consumption below controls. In a second donor-recipient experiment, fipronil significantly reduced activity, survival, and consumption below controls when donors (12.5% of the population) were exposed to 1.0 ppm for 1.0 h.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMulrooney, J.E.; Hasse, R. D.; Wagner, T. L.; Gerard, P. D. 2007. Activity of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) Exposed to Nestmates Treated with Slow-Acting Nonrepellent Termiticides. Sociobiology 50(1):71-86.
Keywordstermite activity, nonrepellent, termiticide, acoustical event, Reticulitermes flavipes
- Effects of exposure duration on transfer of nonrepellent termiticides among workers of coptotermes formosanus shiraki (Isotera: Rhinotermitidae)
- Tunneling and activity of reticulitermes flavipes (isoptera: rhinotermitidae) exposed to low concentrations of nonrepellent termiticides
- Transfer of chlorfenapyr among workers of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) in the laboratory
XML: View XML