Skip to Main Content
Diversidad de aves en agropaisajes en la region norte de NicaraguaAuthor(s): Wayne J. Arendt; Marvin Tórrez; Sergio Vílchez
Source: Ornitología Neotropical. 23:113-131
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: Download Publication (1.42 MB)
Related Research Highlights Avian Diversity in the Agroscapes of Nicaragua's Northern Highlands
DescriptionAvian diversity in agroscapes in Nicaragua’s north highlands. – Nicaragua’s highland forests are threatened by continual wood extraction and encroaching agriculture. Still, the effects of forest loss and fragmentation on avian communities remain little known. We used fixed-width point counts (distance sampling: 4843 detections during 86 h of observation) to characterize bird assemblages in agroforestry systems under five land uses (secondary and riparian forest, forest fallow, coffee plantations, and ‘open lands’, e.g., grass- and pasturelands with scattered trees) in three landscapes of Nicaragua highlands. Land use differences were significant: species richness and abundance were higher in coffee plantations and forest fallows, whereas disturbance-sensitive species were more abundant in secondary and riparian forest. Species and foraging guilds characteristic of closed-canopy forest were found in coffee plantations, but only at points near forest remnants.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationArendt, Wayne J.; Tórrez, Marvin; Vílchez, Sergio. 2012. Diversidad de aves en agropaisajes en la region norte de Nicaragua. Ornitología Neotropical. 23:113-131.
Keywordsavian diversity, cloud forest, coffee plantations, conservation, forest edge, landscape, Nicaragua
- Aves hormigueras en bosque seco del Pacífico de Nicaragua: uso de hábitat y comportamiento parasítico
- Avian Community Density and Distribution Patterns among Nicaraguan Conventional and Organic Shade-Coffee Plantations
- Nuevos rangos altitudinales para dos especies de la avifauna de Nicaragua
XML: View XML