Skip to Main Content
Properties of flat-pressed wood plastic composites containing fire retardantsAuthor(s): Nadir Ayrilmis; Jan. T. Benthien; Heiko Thoemen; Robert H. White
Source: Journal of applied polymer science. Vol. 122, no. 5 (Dec. 5, 2011): p. 3201-3210.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (256.02 KB)
DescriptionThis study investigated physical, mechanical, and fire properties of the flat-pressed wood plastic composites (WPCs) incorporated with various fire retardants (FRs) [5 or 15% by weight (wt)] at 50 wt % of the wood flour (WF). The WPC panels were made from dry-blended WF, polypropylene (PP) with maleic anhydride grafted PP (2 wt %), and FR powder formulations using a conventional flat-pressing process under laboratory conditions. The water resistance and strength values of the WPC panels were negatively affected by increasing the FR content as compared to the WPC panels without FR. The WPC panels incorporated with zinc borate (ZB) gave an overall best performance in both water resistance and strength values followed by the panels containing magnesium hydroxide (MH) and ammonium polyphosphate (APP). For these three FR’s, the best fire resistance as measured in the cone calorimeter was obtained with the 15 wt % APP treatment and then followed by 15 wt % ZB, or 15 wt % MH formulations.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAyrilmis, Nadir; Benthien, Jan. T.; Thoemen, Heiko; White, Robert H. 2011. Properties of flat-pressed wood plastic composites containing fire retardants. Journal of applied polymer science. Vol. 122, no. 5 (Dec. 5, 2011): p. 3201-3210.
KeywordsHeat release rate, hot press molding, water resistance, WPC panel, strength, composite materials, fire testing, wood-plastic composites, polypropylene, thermoplastic composites, wood flour, mechanical properties, maleic anhydride, adsorption, fire retardants, flat pressing, moisture content, zinc borate, magnesium hydroxide, flammability, fire resistance, thermal degradation, cone calorimetry, ammonium polyphosphate, bonding, bond strength
- Effects of fire retardants on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of flat-pressed WPCs
- Effect of boron compounds on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of injection molded wood plastic composites
- Coir fiber reinforced polypropylene composite panel for automotive interior applications
XML: View XML