Skip to Main Content
An overview of the forest products sector downturn in the United StatesAuthor(s): C.W. Woodall; P.J. Ince; K.E. Skog; F.X. Aguilar; C.E. Keegan; C.B. Sorenson; D.G. Hodges; W.B. Smith
Source: Forest Products Journal. 61: 595-603.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (4.38 MB)
Related Research Highlights Analysis Reveals Cyclical and Structural Changes in Forest Products Industry
DescriptionIn recent years, the forest products industry of the U.S. experienced a downturn in output to levels not seen in decades and employment losses in the hundreds of thousands-- for instance, a number far greater than witnessed in the Nation's automotive industry. The extent of the forest industry downturn varies by sector, impacted by structural changes in the overall economy coupled with substantial impacts from the Great Recession. Globalization of manufacturing and expanded use of electronic communication media contributed to a decline in U.S. pulp, paper, and paperboard output since the late 1990s, while the collapse of housing construction since 2006 and off-shoring of furniture production contributed to declines in U.S. wood product output. The paper points to structural changes that may be difficult to reverse, but also points to some potential prospects for growth in the future such as increased secondary product manufacturing and wood energy. This paper serves as an introduction to the extent of the downturn with a particular focus on trends in forest sector economic production and employment across the U.S . Because the nation's forest industry varies by region due to differences in forest resources and forest industries, additional regional examinations of this downturn (same issue) will highlight variations in the regional industrial response to the "Great Recession."
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationWoodall, C.W.; Ince, P.J.; Skog, K.E.; Aguilar, F.X.; Keegan, C.E.; Sorenson, C.B.; Hodges, D.G.; Smith, W.B. 2012. An overview of the forest products sector downturn in the United States. Forest Products Journal 61: 595-603.
- Recession effects on the forests and forest products industries of the South.
- Effects of the "great recession" on the forest products sector in the northern region of the United States
- Recent economic downturn and pulpwood markets
XML: View XML