Skip to Main Content
Frameworks for defining and managing the wilderness experienceAuthor(s): Robert E. Manning
Source: In: Cole, David N., comp. Wilderness visitor experiences: Progress in research and management; 2011 April 4-7; Missoula, MT. Proc. RMRS-P-66. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station p. 158-176.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (560.95 KB)
DescriptionA large and growing body of research on outdoor recreation and the wilderness experience has been conducted over the nearly 50 years since passage of the Wilderness Act of 1964. A number of conceptual and empirical frameworks have emerged from this body of knowledge that can be used to help define and manage the wilderness experience.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationManning, Robert E. 2012. Frameworks for defining and managing the wilderness experience. In: Cole, David N., comp. Wilderness visitor experiences: Progress in research and management; 2011 April 4-7; Missoula, MT. Proc. RMRS-P-66. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station p. 158-176.
Keywordsmanagement frameworks, recreation management, research methods, solitude, technology, visitor density, wilderness experience
- Linking wilderness research and management-volume 2. Defining, managing, and monitoring wilderness visitor experiences: an annotated reading list
- Defining and managing the quality of wilderness recreation experiences
- Wilderness visitor experiences: Lessons from 50 years of research
XML: View XML