Skip to Main Content
Current forest and woodland carbon storage and flux in California: An estimate for the 2010 statewide assessmentAuthor(s): Timothy A. Robards
Source: In: McWilliams, Will; Roesch, Francis A. eds. 2012. Monitoring Across Borders: 2010 Joint Meeting of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium and the Southern Mensurationists. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-157. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 7-13.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.65 MB)
DescriptionThis study used USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) plot data, forest growth models, wildland fire emission estimates and timber harvest data to estimate the live tree carbon storage and flux of California's forests and woodlands. Approximately 30 Tg C02e per year was estimated as the annual flux for all California forests. The forest inventory components not analyzed here may reduce this to about 28 Tg C02e per year. Over 80 percent of the annual net sequestration was estimated to come from public forestlands; however the private lands forest growth was likely underestimated given the growth models that were used. Suggestions for continued improvements in forest carbon inventory estimates include more accurate projections, biomass function improvements, continued FIA data collection, and spatial data analysis of change from natural and anthropogenic disturbance.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRobards, Timothy A. 2012. Current forest and woodland carbon storage and flux in California: An estimate for the 2010 statewide assessment. In: McWilliams, Will; Roesch, Francis A. eds. 2012. Monitoring Across Borders: 2010 Joint Meeting of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium and the Southern Mensurationists. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-157. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 7-13.
- Forest inventory-based estimation of carbon stocks and flux in California forests in 1990.
- Source partitioning of methane emissions and its seasonality in the U.S. Midwest
- Exploring the association of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' satellite-detected change with the Forest Inventory and Analysis system of observed removals and mortality
XML: View XML