Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of reference genes for expression studies in ash (Fraxinus spp.)Author(s): Loren Rivera-Vega; Praveen Mamidala; Jennifer L. Koch; Mary E. Mason; Omprakash. Mittapalli
Source: Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. 30: 242-245.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (168.32 KB)
DescriptionAsh (Fraxinus spp.) is a dominant tree species in North America, in both managed and natural landscapes. However, due to the rapid invasion by the emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis), an exotic invasive insect pest, millions of North American ash trees have been killed. Real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RTq-PCR) is widely used for validating transcript levels in gene expression studies for which a good reference gene is mandatory. In the current study, we evaluated the stability of ten reference genes in at least five different tissues (phloem, roots, shoots, immature leaves, and mature leaves), and two developmental stages (young and old) among three ash species including the resistant Asian Manchurian ash (F. mandshurica) and two susceptible North American ash species (greenF. pennsylvanica and whiteF. americana). Of the examined genes, the translation elongation factor alpha (eEF1α) was observed to be most stable and thus is recommended for RTq-PCR based gene expression studies in Fraxinus species. To our knowledge, this is the first report on the stability of reference genes across ash species (in different tissues and during development).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationRivera-Vega,Loren; Mamidala, Praveen; Koch, Jennifer L.; Mason, Mary E.; Mittapalli, Omprakash. 2012. Evaluation of reference genes for expression studies in ash (Fraxinus spp.). Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. 30: 242-245.
KeywordsFraxinus spp., Real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction, Reference genes, GeNorm, Normfinder
- Interspecific proteomic comparisons reveal ash phloem genes potentially involved in constitutive resistance to the emerald ash borer
- The green ash transcriptome and identification of genes responding to abiotic and biotic stresses
- Host selection and feeding preference of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) on ash (Fraxinus spp.)
XML: View XML