Skip to Main Content
Ecology and management of Martes on private timberlands in north coastal CaliforniaAuthor(s): Keith A. Hamm; Lowell V. Diller; David W. Lamphear; Desiree A. Early
Source: In: Standiford, Richard B.; Weller, Theodore J.; Piirto, Douglas D.; Stuart, John D., tech. coords. Proceedings of coast redwood forests in a changing California: A symposium for scientists and managers. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-238. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. pp. 419-425
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (293.4 KB)
DescriptionGreen Diamond Resource Company has conducted periodic studies of fishers on its California timberlands since 1994. A graduate study in 1994 and 1995 used track plates to investigate the distribution and habitat associations of fishers. Fishers were detected at 65 percent of the survey segments during both years combined but marten were not detected. A repeated track plate survey conducted a decade after the initial effort revealed the presence of marten west of a known population on public lands. An abbreviated track plate survey effort in 2006 again confirmed the presence of marten in the same area of the ownership and a potential expansion of the occupied area. During 2010 and 2011, we used remote cameras to survey 75 stations in a 2 km2 hexagonal grid in the northern portion of the ownership. We detected fisher at 45 camera stations, marten at eight stations and both species at six stations. Marten are persisting in areas where we initially detected them in 2004, but additional studies are necessary to investigate habitat use, demographics, dispersal and interactions with competitors like the fisher.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHamm, Keith A.; Diller, Lowell V.; Lamphear, David W.; Early, Desiree A. 2012. Ecology and management of Martes on private timberlands in north coastal California. In: Standiford, Richard B.; Weller, Theodore J.; Piirto, Douglas D.; Stuart, John D., tech. coords. Proceedings of coast redwood forests in a changing California: A symposium for scientists and managers. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-238. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. pp. 419-425.
Keywordscamera, fisher, managed forest, marten, non-invasive survey, track plate
- Detection surveys for fishers and american martens in California, 1989-1994: summary and interpertations
- Current distribution of the fisher, Martes pennanti, in California
- The efficacy of wire and glue hair snares in identifying mesocarnivores
XML: View XML