Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Alkanes and terpenes in wood and leaves of Pinus jeffreyi and P. sabinianaAuthor(s): Robert P. Adams; Jessica W. Wright
Source: Journal of Essential Oil Research. 6 p. DOI:10.1080/10412905.2012.703512
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (0 B)
DescriptionThe wood oils of Pinus jeffreyi and P. sabiniana contain considerable amounts of heptane (76.6%, 92%), on a monoterpene basis. However, when entire wood extractables is considered, the amounts drop considerably (3.4%, 36.8%) with the major portion of the wood oils being diterpene acids. The leaf oil of P. jeffreyi is dominated by α-pinene (20.9%) and, a diterpene, thunbergol (9.2%) with moderate amounts of β-pinene, δ-3-carene, limonene, β-phellandrene, (Z)-β-ocimene, (E)-caryophyllene, δ-cadinene and cembrene. The leaf oil of P. sabiniana is dominated by α-pinene (39.1%) with moderate amounts of β-pinene, myrcene, limonene, β-phellandrene, (Z)-β-ocimene, methyl chavicol, decanal and thunbergol.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdams, Robert P.; Wright, Jessica W. 2012. Alkanes and terpenes in wood and leaves of Pinus jeffreyi and P. sabiniana. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 6 p. DOI:10.1080/10412905.2012.703512
KeywordsPinus jeffreyi, Pinus sabiniana, wood oils, leaf oils, heptane, alkanes, terpenes, diterpene
- Regeneration of Cutover Jack Pine Stands
- Fire effects in northeastern forests: jack pine.
- Using Black Light to Find Jack-Pine Budworm Egg Masses
XML: View XML