Skip to Main Content
The Economic Value of Mangroves: A Meta-AnalysisAuthor(s): Marwa Salem; D. Evan Mercer
Source: Sustainability 4:359-383
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (667.53 KB)
DescriptionThis paper presents a synthesis of the mangrove ecosystem valuation literature through a meta-regression analysis. The main contribution of this study is that it is the first meta-analysis focusing solely on mangrove forests, whereas previous studies have included different types of wetlands. The number of studies included in the regression analysis is 44 for a total of 145 observations. We include several regressions with the objective of addressing outliers in the data as well as the possible correlations between observations of the same study. We also investigate possible interaction effects between type of service and GDP per capita. Our findings indicate that mangroves exhibit decreasing returns to scale, that GDP per capita has a positive effect on mangrove values and that using the replacement cost and contingent valuation methods produce higher estimates than do other methods. We also find that there are statistically significant interaction effects that influence the data. Finally, the results indicate that employing weighted regressions provide a better fit than others. However, in terms of forecast performance we find that all the estimated models performed similarly and were not able to conclude decisively that one outperforms the other.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSalem, Marwa; Mercer, D. Evan. 2012. The Economic Value of Mangroves: A Meta-Analysis. Sustainability 4:359-383.
Keywordsmangroves, meta-regression analysis, nonmarket valuation
- The causes of mangrove death on Yap, Palau, Pohnpei and Kosrae [Chapter II]
- Issues and challenges of mangrove conservation in the Anthropocene - Desafios de la conservacion del mangle en el Antropoceno
- Big geospatial data analytics for global mangrove biomass and carbon estimation
XML: View XML