Skip to Main Content
A comparison of herbicide tank mixtures for mid-rotation gallberry competition release in slash pineAuthor(s): Lukas J. Petre; Alan B. Wilson; William N. Kline
Source: In: Butnor, John R., ed. 2012. Proceedings of the 16th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-156. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 247-249.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (242.29 KB)
DescriptionTen different herbicide combinations including Forestry Garlon® 4, Garlon® 4 Ultra, Forestry Garlon® XRT, Chopper®, and Milestone® VM were tested for gallberry (Ilex glabra) control. Treatments were applied to the understory of a 9-year-old slash pine (Pinus elliottii Engelm.) plantation in South Georgia. Herbicide tank mixture treatments were broadcast foliar applied at a total delivery volume of 20 GPA and replicated three times in a randomized complete block design. One and two years after treatment plots were evaluated and treatments ranked based on level of gallberry control. Forestry Garlon® 4 performed similar to the new formulations, Garlon® 4 Ultra and Forestry Garlon® XRT. The most effective herbicide treatments for gallberry were achieved with 4 quarts/acre of Forestry Garlon® 4 or 3 quarts/acre of Forestry Garlon® 4 (or Garlon® 4 Ultra or Forestry Garlon® XRT) tank-mixed with 16 oz/acre of Arsenal®.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPetre, Lukas J.; Wilson, Alan B.; Kline, William N. 2012. A comparison of herbicide tank mixtures for mid-rotation gallberry competition release in slash pine. In: Butnor, John R., ed. 2012. Proceedings of the 16th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-156. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 247-249.
- Herbicide comparions for mid-rotation competition release in loblolly and slash pine
- Chopper herbicide site preparation for different bedding timings and vegetation complexes in North Florida
- Early Growth Response of Slash Pine to Double-Bedding on a Flatwoods Site in Georgia
XML: View XML