Skip to Main Content
Direct multiangle solution for poorly stratified atmospheresAuthor(s): Vladimir Kovalev; Cyle Wold; Alexander Petkov; Wei Min Hao
Source: Applied Optics. 51(25): 6139-6146.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (643.6 KB)
DescriptionThe direct multiangle solution is considered, which allows improving the scanning lidar-data-inversion accuracy when the requirement of the horizontally stratified atmosphere is poorly met. The signal measured at zenith or close to zenith is used as a core source for extracting optical characteristics of the atmospheric aerosol loading. The multiangle signals are used as auxiliary data to extract the vertical transmittance profile from the zenith signal. Details of the retrieval methodology are considered that eliminate, or at least soften, some specific ambiguities in the multiangle measurements in horizontally heterogeneous atmospheres. Simulated and experimental elastic lidar data are presented that illustrate the essentials of the data-processing technique. Finally, the prospects of the utilization of high-spectral-resolution lidar in the multiangle mode are discussed.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKovalev, Vladimir; Wold, Cyle; Petkov, Alexander; Hao, Wei Min. 2012. Direct multiangle solution for poorly stratified atmospheres. Applied Optics. 51(25): 6139-6146.
Keywordsdirect multiangle solution, stratified atmosphere, atmospheric aerosol, lidar
- Profiling of poorly stratified atmospheres with scanning lidar
- Profiling of poorly stratified smoky atmospheres with scanning lidar
- Data processing technique for multiangle lidar sounding of poorly stratified polluted atmospheres: Theory and experiment
XML: View XML