Skip to Main Content
Seasonal variations in aerosol optical properties over ChinaAuthor(s): Yuesi Wang; Jinyuan Xin; Zhanqing Li; Shigong Wang; Pucai Wang; Wei Min Hao; Bryce L. Nordgren; Hongbin Chen; Lili Wang; Yang Sun
Source: Journal of Geophysical Research. 116: D18209.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.33 MB)
DescriptionSeasonal variations in background aerosol optical depth (AOD) and aerosol type are investigated over various ecosystems in China based upon three years' worth of meteorological data and data collected by the Chinese Sun Hazemeter Network. In most parts of China, AODs are at a maximum in spring or summer and at a minimum in autumn or winter. Minimum values (0.10~0.20) of annual mean AOD at 500 nm are found in the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, the remote northeast corner of China, the northern forest ecosystems and Hainan Island. Annual mean AOD ranges from 0.25 to 0.30 over desert and oasis areas, as well as the desertification grasslands in northern China; the annual mean AOD over the Loess Plateau is moderately high at 0.36. Regions where the highest density of agricultural and industrial activities are located and where anthropogenic sulphate aerosol and soil aerosol emissions are consistently high throughout the whole year (e.g., the central-eastern, southern and eastern coastal regions of China) experience annual mean AODs ranging from 0.50~0.80.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Yuesi; Xin, Jinyuan; Li, Zhanqing; Wang, Shigong; Wang, Pucai; Hao, Wei Min; Nordgren, Bryce L.; Chen, Hongbin; Wang, Lili; Sun, Yang. 2012. Seasonal variations in aerosol optical properties over China. Journal of Geophysical Research. 116: D18209.
KeywordsAngstrom exponent, Chinese Sun Hazemeter Network, aerosol optical depth (AOD), seasonal variation
- Aerosol optical depth (AOD) and Angstrom exponent of aerosols observed by the Chinese Sun Hazemeter Network from August 2004 to September 2005
- Validation of multi-angle imaging spectroradiometer aerosol products in China
- Climatology and trend of wind power resources in China and its surrounding regions: a revisit using Climate Forecast System Reanalysis data
XML: View XML