Skip to Main Content
Outdoor Recreation in the Northern United StatesAuthor(s): H. Ken Cordell; Carter J. Betz; Shela H. Mou; Dale D. Gormanson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-100. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 74 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (12.74 MB)
DescriptionIn the last two decades, the North's population grew at a considerably slower rate than the Nation as a whole. Nevertheless, this region's population is large and in all likelihood will continue to grow. This means greater development of land and water resources at the same time that there is growth in demand for outdoor recreation. This report looks at recent population trends and forecasts within the context of other U.S. regions, demographic composition of population, recreation participation by residents age 16 and older, trends in activities and time spent outdoors by its youth, and the changes occurring in recreation resources, both public and private. The region referenced here includes the area within the corner States of Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, and Maryland. Much of the research reported here ties to data, analyses, and findings developed for the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service 2010 Renewable Resources Planning Act (RPA) Assessment (Cordell 2012) and how they affect the sustainability of northern forests.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCordell, H. Ken; Betz, Carter J.; Mou, Shela H.; Gormanson, Dale D. 2012. Outdoor Recreation in the Northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-100. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 74 p.
Keywordstrends, population, outdoor recreation, natural resources, northern United States
- Outdoor recreation trends and futures: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment
- Outdoor recreation and nontraditional users: results of focus group interviews with racial and ethnic minorities
- U.S. Outdoor Recreation Participation Projections to 2060
XML: View XML