Skip to Main Content
Decline of red-eared sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans) and Texas spiny softshells (Apalone spinifera emoryi) in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of TexasAuthor(s): Donald J. Brown; Amanda D. Schultz; James R. Dixon; Brian E. Dickerson; Michael R. J. Forstner
Source: Chelonian Conservation and Biology. 11(1): 138-143.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (199.7 KB)
DescriptionIn 2009, we repeated a freshwater turtle survey first conducted in 1976 in the Lower Rio Grande Valley (LRGV) of Texas to determine whether the abundance of freshwater turtles in the LRGV has changed over the past three decades. We captured significantly fewer red-eared sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans) and Texas spiny softshells (Apalone spinifera emoryi) in 2 recently urbanized counties (Cameron and Hidalgo), and more red-eared sliders and Texas spiny softshells in a nonurbanized county (Willacy). Landuse changes, increased urbanization, and commercial turtle harvest are likely responsible for the decline of freshwater turtles in the LRGV.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrown, Donald J.; Schultz, Amanda D.; Dixon, James R.; Dickerson, Brian E.; Forstner, Michael R. J. 2012. Decline of red-eared sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans) and Texas spiny softshells (Apalone spinifera emoryi) in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Chelonian Conservation and Biology. 11(1): 138-143.
Keywordsred-eared sliders, Trachemys scripta elegans, Texas spiny softshells, Apalone spinifera emoryi, Lower Rio Grande Valley (LRGV)
- Road density not a major driver of Red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans) population demographics in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas
- Effects of drought on western pond turtle survival and movement patterns
- Mapping the western pond turtle (Actinemys marmorata) and painted turtle (Chrysemys picta) in western North America
XML: View XML