Skip to Main Content
Terrestrial ecosystems and their changeAuthor(s): Anatoly Z. Shvidenko; Eric Gustafson; A. David McGuire; Vjacheslav I. Kharuk; Dmitry G. Schepaschenko; Herman H. Shugart; Nadezhda M. Tchebakova; Natalia N. Vygodskaya; Alexander A. Onuchin; Daniel J. Hayes; Ian McCallum; Shamil Maksyutov; Ludmila V. Mukhortova; Amber J. Soja; Luca Belelli-Marchesini; Julia A. Kurbatova; Alexander V. Oltchev; Elena I. Parfenova; Jacquelyn K. Shuman
Source: Chapter 6. In: Groisman, P.Y.; Gutman, G., eds. Regional environmental changes in Siberia and their global consequences. Springer Environmental Science and Engineering: 171-249. DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-4569-8_6.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (2.25 MB)
DescriptionThis chapter considers the current state of Siberian terrestrial ecosystems, their spatial distribution, and major biometric characteristics. Ongoing climate change and the dramatic increase of accompanying anthropogenic pressure provide different but mostly negative impacts on Siberian ecosystems. Future climates of the region may lead to substantial drying on large territories, acceleration of disturbance regimes, deterioration of ecosystems, and positive feedback to global warming. The region requires urgent development and implementation of strategies of adaptation to, and mitigation of, negative consequences of climate change.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShvidenko, Anatoly Z.; Gustafson, Eric; McGuire, A. David; Kharuk, Vjacheslav I.; Schepaschenko, Dmitry G.; Shugart, Herman H.; Tchebakova, Nadezhda M.; Vygodskaya, Natalia N.; Onuchin, Alexander A.; Hayes, Daniel J.; McCallum, Ian; Maksyutov, Shamil; Mukhortova, Ludmila V.; Soja, Amber J.; Belelli-Marchesini, Luca; Kurbatova, Julia A.; Oltchev, Alexander V.; Parfenova, Elena I.; Shuman, Jacquelyn K. 2012. Terrestrial ecosystems and their change. Chapter 6. In: Groisman, P.Y.; Gutman, G., eds. Regional environmental changes in Siberia and their global consequences. Springer Environmental Science and Engineering: 171-249. DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-4569-8_6.
- Wild apple growth and climate change in southeast Kazakhstan
- Effectiveness of forest management strategies to mitigate effects of global change in Siberia
- Effects of climate change on ecosystem services in the Northern Rockies Region [Chapter 11]
XML: View XML