Skip to Main Content
Lignin-Based Electrospun Nanofibers Reinforced with Cellulose NanocrystalsAuthor(s): Mariko Ago; Kunihiko Okajima; Joseph E. Jakes; Park Sunkyu; Orlando J. Rojas
Source: Biomacromolecules 2012, 13, 918-926; 2012
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (704.53 KB)
DescriptionLignin-based fibers were produced by electrospinning aqueous dispersions of lignin, poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA), and cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs). Defect-free nanofibers with up to 90 wt % lignin and 15% CNCs were achieved. The properties of the aqueous dispersions, including viscosity, electrical conductivity, and surface tension, were examined and correlated to the electrospinnability and resulting morphology of the composite fibers. A ternary lignin-PVA-water phase diagram was constructed as a tool to rationalize the effect of mixing ratios on the dispersion electrospinability and morphology of the resulting fibers. The influence of reinforcing CNCs on the thermal properties of the multicomponent fibers was investigated by using thermal gravimetric analysis and differential scanning calorimetry. The thermal stability of the system was observed to increase owing to a strong interaction of the lignin-PVA matrix with the dispersed CNCs, mainly via hydrogen bonding, as observed in Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy experiments.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAgo, Mariko; Okajima, Kunihiko; Jakes, Joseph E.; Sunkyu, Park; Rojas, Orlando J. 2012. Lignin-based electrospun nanofibers reinforced with cellulose nanocrystals. Biomacromolecules. 13: 918-926.
KeywordsLignin, fibers, electrospinning, cellulose nanocrystals, composites
- Interfacial Properties of Lignin-Based Electrospun Nanofibers and Films Reinforced with Cellulose Nanocrystals
- Thermomechanical Properties of Lignin-Based Electrospun Nanofibers and Films Reinforced with Cellulose Nanocrystals: A Dynamic Mechanical and Nanoindentation Study
- Effect of freeze-drying on the morphology of dried cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs) and tensile properties of poly(lactic) acid-CNC composites
XML: View XML