Skip to Main Content
Boundary shear stress along rigid trapezoidal bendsAuthor(s): Christopher I. Thornton; Kyung-Seop Sin; Paul Sclafani; Steven R. Abt
Source: Prepared for U.S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Albuquerque Area Office. Fort Collins, CO: Colorado State University, Engineering Research Center. 25 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (246.48 KB)
DescriptionThe migration of alluvial channels through the geologic landform is an outcome of the natural erosive processes. Mankind continually attempts to stabilize channel meandering processes, both vertically and horizontally, to reduce sediment discharge, provide boundary definition, and enable economic development along the river's edge. A critical component in the reduction of bank erosion and subsequent channel migration is to stabilize river bendways. The mitigation of erosion is addressed through the damping of the magnitude and orientation of the applied shear stresses developed by the river's flow (Julien 2002). Therefore, bank-protection measures are required to resist the erosive forces imparted by applied shear stresses, but often at significant expense.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThornton, Christopher I.; Sin, Kyung-Seop; Sclafani, Paul; Abt, Steven R. 2012. Boundary shear stress along rigid trapezoidal bends. Prepared for U.S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Albuquerque Area Office. Fort Collins, CO: Colorado State University, Engineering Research Center. 25 p.
Keywordsboundary shear stress, trapezoidal bends, alluvial channels, bank erosion
- Methodology for calculating shear stress in a meandering channel
- Seasonal change of WEPP erodibility parameters for two fallow plots on a palouse silt loam
- The Middle Sacramento River: Human Impacts on Physical and Ecological Processes Along a Meandering River
XML: View XML