Skip to Main Content
Physiography, geology, and land cover of four watersheds in Eastern Puerto RicoAuthor(s): S.F. Murphy; R.F. Stallard; M.C. Larsen; W.A. Gould
Source: Professional Paper 1789-A. Reston, VA (?): U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: View PDF (7.43 MB)
DescriptionFour watersheds with differing geology and land cover in eastern Puerto Rico have been studied on a long-term basis by the U.S. Geological Survey to evaluate water, energy, and biogeochemical budgets. These watersheds are typical of tropical, island-arc settings found in many parts of the world. Two watersheds are located on coarse-grained granitic rocks that weather to quartz- and clay-rich, sandy soils, and two are located on fine-grained volcanic rocks and volcaniclastic sedimentary rocks that weather to quartz-poor, fine-grained soils. For each bedrock type, one watershed is covered with mature forest, and the other watershed, like most of Puerto Rico, has transformed from relatively undisturbed pre-European forest to intensive agriculture in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and further to ongoing reforestation that began in the middle of the 20th century. The comparison of water chemistry and hydrology in these watersheds allows an evaluation of the effects of land-use history and geology on hydrologic regimes and erosion rates. This chapter describes the physiography, geology, and land cover of the four watersheds and provides background information for the remaining chapters in this volume.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMurphy, S.F.; Stallard, R.F.; Larsen, M.C.; Gould, W.A. 2012. Physiography, geology, and land cover of four watersheds in Eastern Puerto Rico. Pages 1-23 in: Murphy, S.F., and Stallard, R.F., eds. 2012. Water quality and landscape processes of four watersheds in eastern Puerto Rico. Professional Paper 1789-A. Reston, VA (?): U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey.
KeywordsPuerto Rico, water, energy, watersheds, hydrology, geology
- Land use, population dynamics, and land-cover change in Eastern Puerto Rico
- Land Use, Conservation, Forestry, and Agriculture in Puerto Rico
- Blizzards to hurricanes: computer modeling of hydrology, weathering, and isotopic fractionation across hydroclimatic regions
XML: View XML