Skip to Main Content
Connecting overwintering success of eastern larch beetle to health of tamarack. Chapter 16Author(s): Robert C. Venette; Abigail J. Walter
Source: In: Potter, Kevin M.; Conkling, Barbara L. Forest health monitoring: 2008 national technical report. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-158. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station: 167-169.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (476.75 KB)
DescriptionMichigan, Wisconsin, Maine, and Minnesota have experienced extensive mortality of tamarack (eastern larch) (Larix laricina). The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources reported tamarack mortality on 54,000 acres of Minnesota forests between 2001 and 2006 (Minnesota Department of Natural Resources 2006). Although the exact cause of tree mortality has been difficult to determine, eastern larch beetle (Dendroctonus simplex) may be playing a key role (Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry; U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service 2006). Although eastern larch beetles often attack stressed tamarack, recent attacks in Minnesota have occurred on healthy trees. Similar observations were made in New York and Vermont during the 1970s (Drooz 1985).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVenette, Robert C.; Walter, Abigail J. 2012. Chapter 16. Connecting Overwintering Success of Eastern Larch Beetle to Health of Tamarack. In: Potter, Kevin M.; Conkling, Barbara L. Forest health monitoring: 2008 national technical report. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-158. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station: 167-169.
KeywordsDendroctonus simplex, Larix laricina, tamarack, eastern larch, eastern larch beetle
- Survival and Height Growth of Tamarack Planted in Northern Wisconsin
- Height and diameter of tamarack seed sources in northern Wisconsin.
- Botanical and Commercial Range of Tamarack In the Lake States
XML: View XML