Skip to Main Content
Wisconsin's Forests 2009Author(s): Charles H. Perry; Vern A. Everson; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Sally E. Dahir; Andrea L. Diss-Torrance; Grant M Domke; Dale D. Gormanson; Sarah K. Herrick; Steven S. Hubbard; Terry R. Mace; Patrick D. Miles; Mark D. Nelson; Richard B. Rodeout; Luke T. Saunders; Kirk M. Stueve; Barry T. Wilson; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-67. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 62 p. [Includes DVD].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (17.26 MB)
DescriptionThe second full annual inventory of Wisconsin's forests reports more than 16.7 million acres of forest land with an average volume of more than 1,400 cubic feet per acre. Forest land is dominated by the oak/hickory forest-type group, which occupies slightly more than one quarter of the total forest land area; the maple/beech/birch forest-type group occupies an additional 23 percent. Forty-two percent of forest land consists of large diameter stands, 23 percent contains medium diameter stands, and 8 percent contains small diameter stands. The volume of growing stock on timberland has been rising since the 1980s and currently totals more than 21.1 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock on forest land from 2005 to 2009 is approximately 572 million cubic feet per year. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land use change, carbon, timber products, forest health, and statistics and quality assurance of data collection.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPerry, Charles H.; Everson, Vern A.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Dahir, Sally E.; Diss-Torrance, Andrea L.; Domke, Grant M; Gormanson, Dale D.; Herrick, Sarah K.; Hubbard, Steven S.; Mace, Terry R.; Miles, Patrick D.; Nelson, Mark D.; Rodeout, Richard B.; Saunders, Luke T.; Stueve, Kirk M.; Wilson, Barry T.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2012. Wisconsin's Forests 2009. Resour. Bull. NRS-67. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 62 p. [Includes DVD].
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, and forest health
XML: View XML