Skip to Main Content
A distance limited method for sampling downed coarse woody debrisAuthor(s): Jeffrey H. Gove; Mark J. Ducey; Harry T. Valentine; Michael S. Williams
Source: Forest Ecology and Management. 282: 53-62.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (476.92 KB)
DescriptionA new sampling method for down coarse woody debris is proposed based on limiting the perpendicular distance from individual pieces to a randomly chosen sample point. Two approaches are presented that allow different protocols to be used to determine field measurements; estimators for each protocol are also developed. Both protocols are compared via simulation against existing sampling methods that are closely related in terms of theory and field implementation. The new method performed well in comparison to both fixed-area plot and perpendicular distance sampling, and may provide some simplifications in operational field use.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGove, Jeffrey H.; Ducey, Mark J.; Valentine, Harry T.; Williams, Michael S. 2012. A distance limited method for sampling downed coarse woody debris. Forest Ecology and Management. 282(15 October 2012): 53-62.
Keywordsdead wood, ecological inventory, forest inventory, variable probability sampling
- A comprehensive comparison of perpendicular distance sampling methods for sampling downed coarse woody debris
- Distance-limited perpendicular distance sampling for coarse woody debris: theory and field results
- Simultaneous unbiased estimates of multiple downed wood attributes in perpendicular distance sampling
XML: View XML