Skip to Main Content
Removal of Nutrients from Septic Effluent with Re-circulated Hybrid Tidal Flow Constructed WetlandAuthor(s): Lihua Cui; Jigkun Feng; Ying Ouyang; Peiwen Deng
Source: Ecological Engineering 46:112-115
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (381.68 KB)
DescriptionHybrid tidal flow constructed wetland (CW) with recirculation is an improved biological and engineering technique for removal of excess nutrients and certain pollutants from wastewater. This study investigated the removal efficiency of total phosphorus (TP), ammonia-nitrogen (NH3-N), and total nitrogen (TN) from septic tank effluent with the hybrid tidal flow CW system. Results showed that the removal of TP and NH3-N decreased as the hydraulic loading rate (HLR) increased, while the removal of TN increased and then decreased as the transition of HLR from 0.5 to 1.5 m3/m2/d. The removal of TN was maximized at the HLR of 1.0 m3/m2/d. The overall removal ranges of TP, NH3-N, and TN were 35.55–77.68%, 33.30–72.71%, and 16.25–53.17%, respectively. In general, an increase in recirculation frequency could increase the treatment volume of the effluent. This study suggests that the recirculation hybrid tidal flow CW has better performance in removal of nutrients than that of the traditional vertical flow CW.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCui, Lihua; Feng, Jigkun; Ouyang, Ying; Deng, Peiwen. 2012. Removal of Nutrients from Septic Effluent with Re-circulated Hybrid Tidal Flow Constructed Wetland. Ecological Engineering 46:112-115
KeywordsHybrid constructed wetland, Nutrient, Tidal flow, Septic effluent, HLR
- Removal of nutrients from septic tank effluent with baffle subsurface-flow constructed wetlands
- Nutrient removal by prairie filter strips in agricultural landscapes
- Evaluation of nutrient removal efficiency and microbial enzyme activity in a baffled subsurface-flow constructed wetland system
XML: View XML