Skip to Main Content
New associations of phoretic mites on Pityokteines curvidens (Coleoptera, Curculionidae, Scolytinae)Author(s): Milan Pernek; Stefan Wirth; Stacy R. Blomquist; Dimitrios N. Avtzis; John C. Moser
Source: Central European Journal of Biology 7(1):63-68
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (363.61 KB)
DescriptionAbstract: The species composition and abundance of phoretic mites of the bark beetle Pityokteines curvidens caught in pheromone traps were investigated in Croatia. The P. curvidens trapping programs have been in an experimental phase in Croatia since 2004 as a possible monitoring and control system. The trapping program also permits the opportunity to sample phoretic mites found associated with the beetles. Beetles were caught using Curviwit pheromones in Theysohn traps placed in the Litoriæ region of Croatia. A total of 12 mite species were recovered, including Schizostethus simulatrix, Dendrolaelaps quadrisetus, Histiostoma piceae, H. cf. varia, Paraleius leontonychus, Pleuronectocelaeno barbara, Tarsonemus minimax, Trichouropoda lamellosa, Uroobovella ipidis, Schwiebea sp., Phauloppia lucorum and Dolicheremaeus dorni. Five species, Pl. barbara, Schwiebea sp., H. cf. varia, Ph. lucorum and Do. dorni, are identified for the first time in association with P. curvidens. These findings increase the number of mite species known to be phoretic on P. curvidens from 11 to 16. The present study also increases the number of known mite associates of Pityokteines spp. from 14 to 18.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationPernek, Milan; Wirth, Stefan; Blomquist, Stacy R.; Avtzis, Dimitrios N.; Moser, John C. 2012. New associations of phoretic mites on Pityokteines curvidens (Coleoptera, Curculionidae, Scolytinae). Central European Journal of Biology 7(1):63-68.
KeywordsAcarina, Scolytinae, Phoresy, Pheromone trap, Silver fir, Croatia
- Phoretic mites of three bark beetles (Pityokteines spp.) on silver fir
- Surveying mites (Acarina) Phoretic on the southern pine beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) with sticky traps
- Phoretic mites and nematode associates of Scolytus multistraitus and Scolytus pygmaeus (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in Austria
XML: View XML