Skip to Main Content
CO2 release in Groups of Reticulitermes virginicus (Isoptera:Rhinotermitidae)Author(s): Terence L. Wagner; Thomas G. Shelton; Eric J. Villavaso
Source: J. Entomol. Sci. 47(3):264-271
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.39 MB)
DescriptionC02 release rates were measured from groups of 10 Reticulrtermes virginicus Banks workers, soldiers, and nymphs. For workers, VCO2 (μ·mg-1·h-1) 1ncreased linearly w1th temperature between 16.2- 30.4°C. VCO2 recorded at = 20°C was 0.177 ± 0.005 μ·mg-1·h-1 for soldiers and 0.219 ± 0.027 μ·mg-1·h-1 for nymphs. Assuming a similar slope of temperature increase in VCO2 for all castes. predicted mass-corrected CO2 release values for grouped R. virginicus workers, soldiers and nymphs at 23.6°C were 27, 52 and 27% lower than literature values for the same castes of R. flavipes measured individually at that temperature. C02 release rate (μ·mg-1·h-1) for R. virginicus nearly doubled over the 20°C to 30°C temperature range (Q10 = 1.91 ), similar to literature values for Zootermopsis nevadensis (Hagen) over the same range. For all temperatures except 25.2°C, CO2 release rate (in μ·h-1) increased significantly with mass, with coefficients ranging from 0.123 (16.2°C) to 0.599 (30.4°C).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWagner, Terence L.; Shelton, Thomas G.; Villavaso, Eric J. 2012. CO2 Release in Groups of Reticulitermes virginicus (Isoptera:Rhinotermitidae). J. Entomol. Sci. 47(3):264-271.
Keywordsrespiration, CO2, temperature, termite, Reticulitermes virginicus
- Cuticular permeability of two species of Coptotermes Wasmann (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)
- Spatial and temporal variation in soil CO2 efflux in an old-growth neotropical rain forest, LA Selva, Costa Rica
- Response of subterranean termites (Isoptera:Rhinotermitidae) to stressed nestmates
XML: View XML