Skip to Main Content
Response of different white fir geographic provenances to Trichosporium symbioticum inoculation in CaliforniaAuthor(s): William J. Otrosina; Stanley J. Zarnoch
Source: Can. J. For. Res. 42:1178-1183
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (77.25 KB)
DescriptionWe inoculated the fir engraver (Scolytus ventralis LeConte) associated fungus Trichosporium symbioticum Wright onto 56 white fir (Abies concolor (Gordon & Glend.) Lindl. ex Hildebr.) trees planted in a common garden study near Camino, California, that represented five geographic provenances of this species. The objective was to determine if there is a differential lesion length response of white fir provenances with respect to provenance. We found a significant (P < 0.019) difference between the provenances from Arizona and those of eastern Nevada origins 28 days after inoculation. There was a significant interaction between the two T. symbioticum isolates and season of inoculation. Fall inoculations tended to have smaller lesions than those in the spring but this varied by isolate in that the one from eastern Nevada tended to produce longer lesions in the spring (P = 0.0001) whereas the isolate from the Camino plantation did not differ between spring and fall (P = 1.000). There is evidence for genetic variability relative to white fir provenance lesion length in response to T. symbioticum inoculation, and in future studies, isolate variability should also be taken into account.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOtrosina, William J.; Zarnoch, Stanley J. 2012. Response of different white fir geographic provenances to Trichosporium symbioticum inoculation in California. Can. J. For. Res. 42:1178-1183.
- Seed maturity in white fir and red fir
- Assessing the susceptibility of white fir to the fir engraver, Scolytus ventralis Lec. (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), using fungal inoculation
- Differential susceptibility of white fir provenances to balsam twig aphid
XML: View XML