Skip to Main Content
Mapping of quantitative trait loci controlling adaptive traits in coastal Douglas-fir. IIIAuthor(s): Kathleen D. Jermstad; Daniel L. Bassoni; Keith S. Jech; Gary A. Ritchie; Nicholas C. Wheeler; David B. Neale
Source: Genetics. 165: 1489-1506.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.22 MB)
DescriptionQuantitative trait loci (QTL) were mapped in the woody perennial Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii var. menziesii [Mirb.] Franco) for complex traits controlling the timing of growth initiation and growth cessation. QTL were estimated under controlled environmental conditions to identify QTL interactions with photoperiod, moisture stress, winter chilling, and spring temperatures. A three-generation mapping population of 460 cloned progeny was used for genetic mapping and phenotypic evaluations. An allmarker interval mapping method was used for scanning the genome for the presence of QTL and singlefactor ANOVA was used for estimating QTL-by-environment interactions. A modest number of QTL were detected per trait, with individual QTL explaining up to 9.5% of the phenotypic variation. Two QTLby- treatment interactions were found for growth initiation, whereas several QTL-by-treatment interactions were detected among growth cessation traits. This is the first report of QTL interactions with specific environmental signals in forest trees and will assist in the identification of candidate genes controlling these important adaptive traits in perennial plants.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJermstad, Kathleen D.; Bassoni, Daniel L.; Jech, Keith S.; Ritchie, Gary A.; Wheeler, Nicholas C.; Neale, David B. 2003. Mapping of quantitative trait loci controlling adaptive traits in coastal Douglas-fir. III. Quantitative trait loci-by-environment interactions. Genetics. 165: 1489–1506.
- Mapping of quantitative trait loci controlling adaptive traits in coastal Douglas-fir. I. Timing of vegetative bud flush.
- Mapping of quantitative trait loci controlling adaptive traits in coastal Douglas-fir.II. Spring and fall cold-hardiness
- Mapping quantitative trait loci controlling early growth in a (longleaf pine × slash pine) × slash pine BC1 family
XML: View XML