Area-wide application of verbenone-releasing flakes reduces mortality of whitebark pine Pinus albicaulis caused by the mountain pine beetle Dendroctonus ponderosaeAuthor(s): Nancy E. Gillette; E. Matthew Hansen; Constance J. Mehmel; Sylvia R. Mori; Jeffrey N. Webster; Nadir Erbilgin; David L. Wood
Source: Agricultural and Forest Entomology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1461-9563.2012.00577.x
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
Download Publication (740.0 KB)
DISRUPT Micro-Flake Verbenone Bark Beetle Anti-Aggregant flakes (Hercon Environmental, Inc., Emigsville, Pennsylvania) were applied in two large-scale tests to assess their efficacy for protecting whitebark pine Pinus albicaulis Engelm. from attack by mountain pine beetle Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins (Coleoptera: Scolytinae) (MPB). At two locations, five plots of equivalent size and stand structure served as untreated controls. All plots had early- to mid-outbreak beetle populations (i.e. 7.1-29.2 attacked trees/ha). Verbenone was applied at 370 g/ha in both studies. Intercept traps baited with MPB aggregation pheromone were placed near the corners of each plot after the treatment in order to monitor beetle flight within the plots. Trap catches were collected at 7- to 14-day intervals, and assessments were made at the end of the season of stand structure, stand composition and MPB attack rate for the current and previous years.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Gillette, Nancy E.; Hansen, E. Matthew; Mehmel, Constance J.; Mori, Sylvia R.; Webster, Jeffrey N.; Erbilgin, Nadir; Wood, David L. 2012. Area-wide application of verbenone-releasing flakes reduces mortality of whitebark pine Pinus albicaulis caused by the mountain pine beetle Dendroctonus ponderosae. Agricultural and Forest Entomology. doi: 10.1111/j.1461-9563.2012.00577.x.
KeywordsAerial application, anti-aggregation pheromones, bark beetles, behavioural chemicals, Coleoptera, pheromones, Scolytinae, semiochemicals
- Insects of whitebark pine with emphasis on mountain pine beetle
- The use of verbenone to protect whitebark pine from mountain pine beetle
- Health of whitebark pine forests after mountain pine beetle outbreaks
XML: View XML