Skip to Main Content
Response of Dendroctonus mexicanus (Hopkins) to two optical isomers of verbenoneAuthor(s): Vicente Diaz-Nunez; Guillermo Sanchez-Martinez; Nancy E. Gillette
Source: Agrociencia 40: 349-354
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (104.18 KB)
DescriptionGiven the need for diminishing the use of pesticides in natural environments, in this research we investigated the efficacy of two optical isomers of verbenone (4, 6, 6-trimethylbicyclo[3.1.1] hepto-3-en-e-1) as controls of the attack of Dendroctonus mexicanus (Hopkins) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae).Two experiments were established in the Sierra Fría, in Aguascalientes, Mexico. The experimental design was completely randomized with three treatments: 1) frontalin+alpha-pinene (control), 2) frontalin+alpha-pinene+(+) verbenone and 3) frontalin+alpha-pinene+(−) verbenone, with six replications per treatment. The pheromones were placed on Lindgren funnel traps of 12 units. The experimental units were individual traps which were installed forming a grid of 70-70 m (18 traps). The response variable was the total number of bark beetles (D. mexicanus) captured per treatment. Data were analyzed throughan analysis of variance followed by Tukeys test (p=0.05). In both experiments there were significant differences among treatments (p=0.05). Frontalin+alpha-pinene attracted D. mexicanus in a significant way, but both isomers of verbenone had the same anti-aggregation effect for this species.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDiaz-Nunez, Vicente; Sanchez-Martinez, Guillermo; Gillette, Nancy E. 2006. Response of Dendroctonus mexicanus (Hopkins) to two optical isomers of verbenone. Agrociencia 40: 349-354.
KeywordsDendroctonus mexicanus, bark beetles, pheromones, semiochemicals
- Response of western pine beetle, Dendroctonus brevicomis LeConte (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), to different release rates of nonhost angiosperm volatiles and verbenone
- Verbenone interrupts attraction to host volatiles and reduces attack on Pinus tabuliformis (Pinaceae) by Dendroctonus valens (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in the People's Republic of China
- Field evaluations of potential aggregation inhibitors for the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)
XML: View XML