Skip to Main Content
The pyrolysis characteristics of moso bambooAuthor(s): Zehui Jiang; Zhijia Liu; Benhua Fei; Zhiyong Cai; Yan Yu; Xing’e Liu
Source: Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 94 (2011) 48-52.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (409.03 KB)
DescriptionIn the research, thermogravimetry (TG), a combination of thermogravimetry and Fourier transform infrared spectrometer (TG–FTIR) and X-ray diffraction (XRD) were used to investigate pyrolysis characteristics of moso bamboo (Phyllostachys pubescens). The Flynn–Wall–Ozawa and Coats–Redfern (modified) methods were used to determine the apparent activation energy (Ea). The TG curve indicated that the pyrolysis process of moso bamboo included three steps and the main pyrolysis occurred in the second steps with temperature range from 450 K to 650 K and over 68.69% mass was degraded. TG–FTIR analysis showed that the main pyrolysis products included absorbed water (H2O), methane gas (CH4), carbon dioxide (CO2), acids and aldehydes, ammonia gas (NH3), etc. XRD analysis expressed that the index and width crystallinity of moso bamboo gradually increased from 273 K to 538 K and cellulose gradually degraded from amorphous region to crystalline region. The Ea values of moso bamboo increased with conversion rate increase from 10 to 70. The Ea values were, respectively 153.37–198.55 kJ/mol and 152.14–197.87 kJ/mol based on Flynn–Wall–Ozawa and Coats–Redfern (modified) methods. The information was very helpful and significant to design manufacturing process of bio-energy, made from moso bamboo, using gasification or pyrolysis methods.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJiang, Zehui; Liu, Zhijia; Fei, Benhua; Cai, Zhiyong; Yu, Yan; Liu, Xing’e. 2012. The pyrolysis characteristics of moso bamboo. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 94: 48-52.
KeywordsPyrolysis, Moso bamboo, TG, TG–FTIR, XRD
- Comparison of bamboo green, timber and yellow in sulfite, sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide pretreatments for enzymatic saccharification
- Selected physical and mechanical properties of moso bamboo (Phyllostachys pubescens)
- Study on the mould-resistant properties of moso bamboo treated with high pressure and amylase
XML: View XML