Skip to Main Content
Effect of fall-applied nitrogen on growth, nitrogen storage, and frost hardiness of bareroot Larix olgensis seedlingsAuthor(s): Guolei Li; Yong Liu; Yan Zhu; Qingmei Li; R. Kasten Dumroese
Source: Silva Fennica. 46(3): 345-354.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (455.01 KB)
DescriptionNursery response of evergreen trees to fall fertilization has been studied widely, but little attention has been given to deciduous trees. Bareroot Olga Bay larch (Larix olgensis Henry) seedlings were fertilized in the nursery with urea at four rates (0, 30, 60, 90 kg N ha-1), with half of each rate applied on two dates (September 16 and October 1, 2009). The seedlings were excavated for evaluation on October 15. In the unfertilized (control) treatment, root and shoot dry mass increased by 100% and 57% respectively, while N concentration in the roots and shoots increased by 43% and 40% during the 30 day period. This indicated that substantial biomass growth during this period did not lead to internal nutrient dilution.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Guolei; Liu, Yong; Zhu, Yan; Li, Qingmei; Dumroese, R. Kasten. 2012. Effect of fall-applied nitrogen on growth, nitrogen storage, and frost hardiness of bareroot Larix olgensis seedlings. Silva Fennica. 46(3): 345-354.
Keywordsdeciduous trees, fall fertilization, frost hardiness, Olga Bay larch
- Fall fertilization enhanced nitrogen storage and translocation in Larix olgensis seedlings
- The effects of fall fertilization on the growth of Chinese pine and Prince Rupprecht's larch seedlings
- Container configuration influences western larch and big sagebrush seedling development
XML: View XML