Skip to Main Content
Mileage savings from optimization of coordinated truckingAuthor(s): T.P. McDonald; K. Haridass; J. Valenzuela
Source: In: Mitchell, D.; Gallagher, T., eds. Proceedings of 2010 COFE: 33rd Annual Meeting of the Council on Forest Engineering, June 6-9, 2010, Auburn, AL. [CD-ROM]. 1-11.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (135.61 KB)
DescriptionData on mileage driven and loads delivered were collected from a log truckingrm hauling for 5 loggers to 9 consuming mills. Routes were assigned by a supervisory person and were not optimized. On average over the week of testing, the schedule achieved a loaded mileage proportion of 57%. A route optimization system was also used to assign delivery schedules and it achieved a loaded mileage proportion of 66%,significantly higher than the human-assigned dispatch (P <0.02), and potentially saving therm by up to 15,000 miles per year. Feasibility of the generated optimal schedules was a concern, but could not be directly evaluated. Instead, specific characteristics of routes that might be considered optimal and feasible were selected, and the generated solutions evaluated for whether or not they had those traits. Optimal solutions tended to a) deliver loads from multiple loggers on single days, and b) replicate a few, shorter routes between trucks, both of which were considered traits of feasible schedules. It was concluded that the optimization system was of potential benefit in reducing transport costs of coordinated trucking systems.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcDonald, T.P.; Haridass, K.; Valenzuela, J. 2010. Mileage savings from optimization of coordinated trucking. In: Mitchell, D.; Gallagher, T., eds. Proceedings of 2010 COFE: 33rd Annual Meeting of the Council on Forest Engineering, June 6-9, 2010, Auburn, AL. [CD-ROM]. 1-11.
- A decision algorithm for determining safe clearing limits for the construction of skid roads
- Information needs for increasing log transport efficiency
- Potential for shared log transport services
XML: View XML