Skip to Main Content
Preparation and Characterization of Novolak Phenol Formaldehyde Resin from Liquefied Brown-Rotted WoodAuthor(s): Gai-Yun Li; Chung-Yun Hse; Te-Fu Qin
Source: Journal of Applied Polymer Science 125:3142–3147
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (770.34 KB)
DescriptionThe brown-rotted wood was liquefied in phenol with phosphoric acid as catalyst and the resulting liquefied products were condensed with formaldehyde to yield novolak liquefied wood-based phenol formaldehyde resin (LWPF). The results showed that brown-rotted wood could be more easily liquefied than sound wood in phenol. The residue content of liquefied wood decreased continually with the progress of brown-rot decay. Both water wash and neutralization and water wash slightly improved the thermofluidity and curing properties of LWPF with a small reduction of LWPF yield. An increase in phenol to wood (P/W) ratio from 2 to 3 slightly improved the flow property of LWPF, but with an accompanied by 20% deduction in the product yield. Increased liquefaction time from 30 min to 60 min showed no significant influence on the resulting LWPF. The moldings fabricated from LWPF yielded higher charpy impact, flexural and flexural modulus strength but yielded lower temperature deflection under load than that of the commercial novolak resin.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Gai-Yun; Hse, Chung-Yun; Qin, Te-Fu. 2012. Preparation and Characterization of Novolak Phenol Formaldehyde Resin from Liquefied Brown-Rotted Wood. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 125:3142–3147.
Keywordsbrown-rotted wood, phenol liquefaction, novolak PF resin, molding
- Characterization of novolac type liquefied wood/phenol/formaldehyde (LWPF) resin
- Liquefaction of the Used Creosote-Treated Wood in the Presence of Phenol and Its Application to Phenolic Resin
- Physical and mechanical properties of bio-composites from wood particles and liquefied wood resin
XML: View XML