Skip to Main Content
Regioselective Synthesis of Cellulose Ester HomopolymersAuthor(s): Daiqiang Xu; Kristen Voiges; Thomas Elder; Petra Mischnick; Kevin J. Edgar
Source: Biomacromolecules 13:2195-2201
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (2.72 MB)
DescriptionRegioselective synthesis of cellulose esters is extremely difficult due to the small reactivity differences between cellulose hydroxyl groups, small differences in steric demand between acyl moieties of interest, and the difficulty of attaching and detaching many protecting groups in the presence of cellulose ester moieties without removing the ester groups. Yet the synthesis of homopolymers of particular regioselectively substituted anhydroglucose esters is of critical importance to allow us to determine the analytical characteristics of such homopolymers, their structure−property relationships, and to obtain guidance that may ultimately enable identification and synthesis of cellulose derivatives with superior properties for various applications. We report here a new, general synthesis of both cellulose-2,6-O-diesters and cellulose-2,6-A-O-3-B-O-triesters with a high degree of regioselectivity, employing 3-Oallylcellulose as a key protected precursor. 3-O-Allylcellulose was identified as a protected intermediate with high potential for the synthesis of these derivatives with the aid of molecular modeling of corresponding glucose analogs. We report also the first analytical and structure property studies of these regioselectively substituted cellulose esters.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationXu, Daiqiang; Voiges, Kristen; Elder, Thomas; Mischnick, Petra; Edgar, Kevin J. 2012. Regioselective Synthesis of Cellulose Ester Homopolymers. Biomacromolecules 13:2195-2201.
- 2,4,5-trihydroxy-3-methylacetophenone: A cellulosic chromophore as a case study of aromaticity
- Degradation of the cellulosic key chromophores 2,5- and 2,6-dihydroxyacetophenone by hydrogen peroxide under alkaline conditions. Chromophores in cellulosics, XVII
- Insights into degradation pathways of oxidized anhydroglucose units in cellulose by β-alkoxy-elimination: a combined theoretical and experimental approach
XML: View XML