Skip to Main Content
Hardwoods in U.S. wood pallet productionAuthor(s): Robert J. Bush; Philip A. Araman; E. Bradley Hager
Source: In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Scientific Conference on Hardwood Processing (ISCHP32011). Blacksburg, Virginia. 197-202.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (299.57 KB)
DescriptionResearch indicates that in 2006, 7.26 billion board feet (approximately 17.1 million m3) of new solid wood was utilized by the U.S. wood pallet and container manufacturing industry. During the same year, the study estimates that 5.09 billion board feet (approximately 12.0 million m3) were recovered mostly from used pallets for reuse and recycling. This paper reports the results of a series of studies, conducted over 14 years, on the use of wood by the U.S. wood pallet and container industry. This manuscript presents data estimating the volumes of new wooden materials, separated by hardwoods and softwoods, used by the U.S. wood pallet and container industry. In fact, the U.S. wood pallet and container industry is a major consumer of hardwoods in the U.S. This manuscript also provides information on the treatment of pallets for international shipments by U.S. wood pallet and container manufacturers to reduce the spread of disease and invasive insects.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBush, Robert J.; Araman, Philip A.; Hager, E. Bradley. 2011. Hardwoods in U.S. wood pallet production. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Scientific Conference on Hardwood Processing (ISCHP32011). Blacksburg, Virginia. 197-202.
- Recycling behind most growth in pallet production
- Recycling and the Use of Wood Materials by the U.S. Pallet Industry
- Pallet Recycling and Material Substitution: How Will Hardwood Markets Be Affected?
XML: View XML