Skip to Main Content
New Approach to Remove Metals from Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA)-Treated WoodAuthor(s): Todd F. Shupe; Chung Y. Hse; Hui Pan
Source: Proceedings of the 55th International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology. AP2-2. August 27-31, 2012. Beijing, China.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (261.45 KB)
DescriptionRecovery of metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine wood particles was investigated using binary acid solutions consisting of acetic, oxalic, and phosphoric acids in a microwave reactor. Formation of an insoluble copper oxalate complex in the binary solution containing oxalic acid was the major factor for low copper removal. Furthermore, the possible complexation of acetic/oxalic acid in the organic phase, the decomposition of oxalic acid in acetic acid at high temperatures, and the promotion of the formation and precipitation of the copper oxalate by phosphoric acid may induce an antagonistic effect which adversely influenced the effectiveness of the copper extraction. It was found that the addition of acetic acid into phosphoric acid enhanced the chromium recovery rate of the mixed acid solution. This synergistic effect of mixed acetic acid and phosphoric acids is considered one of the most interesting and significant discoveries in the study.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationShupe, Todd F.; Hse, Chung Y.; Pan, Hui. 2012. New Approach to Remove Metals from Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA)-Treated Wood. In: Proceedings of the 55th International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology. AP2-2. August 27-31, 2012. Beijing, China. 1-8.
KeywordsBinary acid solution, CCA-treated wood, microwave extraction
- Rapid microwave-assisted acid extraction of southern pine waste wood to remove metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA) treatment
- Rapid microwave-assisted acid extraction of metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine wood
- Microwave-assisted organic acids extraction of chromate copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine
XML: View XML