Skip to Main Content
Plant Guide: Blue penstemon (Penstemon cyaneus Pennell)Author(s): Derek Tilley; Loren St. John; Dan Ogle; Nancy Shaw
Source: Aberdeen, ID: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Aberdeen Plant Materials Center. 3 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (130.57 KB)
DescriptionBlue penstemon is suited for use in restoration and wildlife enhancement plantings. It is not noted for having value as forage for livestock, and forage use is limited by big game. The fibrous root system and wide canopy cover make it a good plant for low-water use landscaping (i.e. roadsides) and other ornamental plantings.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTilley, Derek; St. John, Loren; Ogle, Dan; Shaw, Nancy. 2012. Plant Guide: Blue penstemon (Penstemon cyaneus Pennell). Aberdeen, ID: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Aberdeen Plant Materials Center. 3 p.
Keywordsblue penstemon, Penstemon cyaneu, plant guide, forb, wildflower, pollinator, seed
- Penstemon Schmidel: penstemon, beardtongue
- Plant Guide: Royal penstemon: Penstemon speciosus Douglas ex Lindl
- Plant guide: Sharpleaf penstemon: Penstemon acuminatus Douglas ex Lindl.
XML: View XML