Skip to Main Content
Notice of release of Majestic Germplasm and Spectrum Germplasm Western prairie cloverAuthor(s): Douglas A. Johnson; B. Shaun Bushman; Kishor Bhattarai; Kevin J. Connors
Source: Native Plants Journal. 12(3): 249-256.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (744.96 KB)
DescriptionTwo natural-track selected germplasms of western prairie clover (Dalea ornata (Douglas ex Hook.) Eaton & J. Wright [Fabaceae]) have been released for use in revegetation of semiarid rangelands in the western US. Western prairie clover is a perennial leguminous forb that occurs naturally in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, and Nevada. Majestic Germplasm western prairie clover originates from seed collected from indigenous plants near Sherar's Bridge in Sherman County, Oregon, whereas Spectrum Germplasm western prairie clover originates from seed collected from indigenous plants near Succor Creek Natural Area in far eastern Oregon in Malheur County, Oregon. Common-garden and DNA data for 22 collections of western prairie clover were used to develop these releases on a genetic basis. Majestic Germplasm was selected to represent the genetic diversity structure of western prairie clover from the western Columbia Plateau and western Blue Mountains Ecoregions. Spectrum Germplasm was selected to represent the genetic diversity structure from the central and eastern Columbia Plateau, central and eastern Blue Mountains, Northern Basin and Range, and Snake River Plain Ecoregions. This is a new species in the commercial seed trade, and these are the first releases of this species.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJohnson, Douglas A.; Bushman, B. Shaun; Bhattarai, Kishor; Connors, Kevin J. 2011. Notice of release of Majestic Germplasm and Spectrum Germplasm Western prairie clover. Native Plants Journal. 12(3): 249-256.
KeywordsDaleo ornata, Fabaceae, rangeland
- Notice of release of fanny germplasm, carmel germplasm, and Bonneville germplasm Searls’ prairie clover
- Phenotypic and genetic characterization of western prairie clover collections from the western USA
- Phenotypic and genetic characterization of wildland collections of western and Searls prairie clovers for rangeland revegetation in the western USA
XML: View XML