Skip to Main Content
Future of America’s Forest and Rangelands: Forest Service 2010 Resources Planning Act AssessmentAuthor(s): Forest Service U.S. Department of Agriculture
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-87. Washington, DC. 198 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
View PDF (24.38 MB)
DescriptionThe 2010 Resources Planning Act (RPA) Assessment summarizes findings about the status, trends, and projected future of forests, rangelands, wildlife and fish, biodiversity, water, outdoor recreation, wilderness, and urban forests, as well as the effects of climate change upon these resources. The outlook for U.S. resources is largely influenced by a set of scenarios that have varying assumptions about global population and economic growth, global wood energy consumption, U.S. population and economic growth, land use change, and global climate change from 2010 to 2060. Four key themes from the findings are (1) land development will continue to threaten the integrity of natural ecosystems, (2) climate change will alter natural ecosystems and affect their ability to provide goods and services, (3) competition for goods and services from natural ecosystems will increase, and (4) geographic variation in resource responses to drivers of change will require regional and local strategies to address resource management issues. The results from this report will be useful to resource managers and policymakers as they develop strategies to sustain natural resources.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationU.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 2012. Future of America’s Forest and Rangelands: Forest Service 2010 Resources Planning Act Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-87. Washington, DC. 198 p.
Keywordsscenarios, projections, climate change, natural resource trends, forests, rangelands, land use, outdoor recreation, wildlife and fish, water
- Future of America's Forests and Rangelands: Update to the 2010 Resources Planning Act Assessment
- Science You Can Use Bulletin: Coming to a landscape near you: Natural resource changes in the Interior West
- Forest Service Global Change Research Strategy, 2009-2019 Implementation Plan
XML: View XML