Skip to Main Content
Environmental regulation of dormancy loss in seeds of Lomatium dissectumAuthor(s): Melissa Dawn Scholten
Source: Boise, ID: Boise State University. 84 p. Thesis.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.71 MB)
DescriptionLomatium dissectum (Nutt.) Mathias & Constance is a perennial plant found across much of western North America. For disturbed lands within this range, there is interest in using L. dissectum in restoration. A problem in the propagation of L. dissectum is that at the time of dispersal the seeds are dormant. Thus, prior to usage in restoration projects the type of dormancy and the procedures necessary to release dormancy in these seeds must be determined. Determining the type of dormancy and the treatments necessary to break dormancy in L. dissectum seeds was the primary focus of this study. To approach this problem I examined the effect of different constant and alternating temperature regimes on embryo growth and germination. I also evaluated the effect of plant hormones on seeds. Embryo growth and germination of seeds under field conditions was monitored and the soil temperature and moisture conditions correlated to changes in embryo elongation and seed germination. Finally, I explored seed dormancy in L. dissectum seeds collected over an elevation gradient. Exposure to 5°C stimulated embryo growth and germination.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationScholten, Melissa Dawn. 2011. Environmental regulation of dormancy loss in seeds of Lomatium dissectum. Boise, ID: Boise State University. 84 p. Thesis.
KeywordsLomatium dissectum, seeds, dormancy, morphophysiological
- Environmental regulation of dormancy loss in seeds of Lomatium dissectum (Apiaceae)
- Propagation protocol for production of Lomatium dissectum (Nutt.) Mathias and Constance seeds
- Plant guide: Fernleaf biscuitroot (Lomatium dissectum [Nutt.] Mathias & Constance)
XML: View XML