Skip to Main Content
Seasonal soil CO2 flux under big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata Nutt.)Author(s): Michael C. Amacher; Cheryl L. Mackowiak
Source: In: Monaco, T. A.; Schupp, E. W.; Pendleton, R. L.; Kitchen, S. G.; Palacios, P. K., comps. Proceedings of the 16th Wildland Shrub Symposium: Threats to Shrubland Ecosystem Integrity; May 25-27, 2010; Logan, UT. Natural Resources and Environmental Issues. 17: Article 27. Online: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/nrei/vol17/iss1/27
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (756.35 KB)
DescriptionSoil respiration is a major contributor to atmospheric CO2, but accurate landscape-scale estimates of soil CO2 flux for many ecosystems including shrublands have yet to be established. We began a project to measure, with high spatial and temporal resolution, soil CO2 flux in a stand (11 x 25 m area) of big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata Nutt.) at the Logan, Utah, Forestry Sciences Laboratory. Beginning on Nov. 1, 2009, hourly soil CO2 flux measurements were made at a single location in the stand using the Li-Cor LI-8100 soil CO2 flux instrument and 20-cm long-term chamber. Beginning in April, 2010, monthly soil CO2 flux measurements were made on a grid of 11 locations within the stand using the LI- 8100 equipped with the 20-cm survey chamber. Hourly soil temperature (10-cm depth) and volumetric soil water content data were also collected.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAmacher, Michael C.; Mackowiak, Cheryl L. 2011. Seasonal soil CO2 flux under big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata Nutt.). In: Monaco, T. A.; Schupp, E. W.; Pendleton, R. L.; Kitchen, S. G.; Palacios, P. K., comps. Proceedings of the 16th Wildland Shrub Symposium: Threats to Shrubland Ecosystem Integrity; May 25-27, 2010; Logan, UT. Natural Resources and Environmental Issues. 17: Article 27. Online: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/nrei/vol17/iss1/27
Keywordssoil CO2, big sagebrush, Artemisia tridentata
- Big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata) communities: Ecology, importance and restoration potential
- Transcriptome characterization and polymorphism detection between subspecies of big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata)
- Seeding considerations in restoring big sagebrush habitat
XML: View XML