Skip to Main Content
Criterion IV: Social and economic indicators of rangeland sustainability (Chapter 5)Author(s): Daniel W. McCollum; Louis E. Swanson; John A. Tanaka; Mark W. Brunson; Aaron J. Harp; L. Allen Torell; H. Theodore Heintz
Source: In: Mitchell, John E., ed. Criteria and Indicators for Sustainable Rangeland Management. Cooperative Extension Service Publication SM-56. Laramie, WY: University of Wyoming. p. 173-191.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.15 MB)
DescriptionSocial and economic systems provide the context and rationale for rangeland management. Sustaining rangeland ecosystems requires attention to the social and economic conditions that accompany the functioning of those systems. We present and discuss economic and social indicators for rangeland sustainability. A brief conceptual basis for each indicator is offered, describing its potential relationship to rangelands.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCollum, Daniel W.; Swanson, Louis E.; Tanaka, John A.; Brunson, Mark W.; Harp, Aaron J.; Torell, L. Allen; Heintz, H. Theodore, Jr. 2010. Criterion IV: Social and economic indicators of rangeland sustainability (Chapter 5). In: Mitchell, John E., ed. Criteria and Indicators for Sustainable Rangeland Management. Cooperative Extension Service Publication SM-56. Laramie, WY: University of Wyoming. p. 173-191.
Keywordssocial indicators, economic indicators, rangeland sustainability
- Social and Economic Indicators of the Sustainable Rangelands Roundtable
- An Integrated Social, Economic, and Ecologic Conceptual (ISEEC) framework for considering rangeland sustainability
- Soil and Water Indicators of the Sustainable Rangelands Roundtable
XML: View XML