Skip to Main Content
A new species of Laetiporus (Basidiomycota, Polyporales) from the Caribbean basinAuthor(s): Mark T. Banik; Daniel L. Lindner; Beatriz Ortiz-Santana; Deborah J. Lodge
Source: Banik, Mark T.; Lindner, Daniel L.; Ortiz-Santana, Beatriz; Lodge, Deborah J. 2012. A new species of Laetiporus (Basidiomycota, Polyporales) from the Caribbean basin. Kurtziana. 37(1): 15-21.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (914.63 KB)
DescriptionLaetiporus caribensis is described as a new species, causing brown rot on hardwoods in the Caribbean basin. Laetiporus caribensis is distinguished from described species in the genus by smaller basidiospores. In addition, single spore isolates of L. caribensis are incompatible with those of the known species of Laetiporus from North America and Japan. The ITS sequence of L .caribensis is divergent from other members of the genus, being at least 50 base pairs different from L. gilbertsonii, the most closely related species.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBanik, Mark T.; Lindner, Daniel L.; Ortiz-Santana, Beatriz; Lodge, Deborah J. 2012. A new species of Laetiporus (Basidiomycota, Polyporales) from the Caribbean basin. Kurtziana. 37(1): 15-21.
KeywordsBasidiomycota, fungal phylogenetics, Fungi, Polyporaceae, sulfur shelf
- Molecular phylogeny of Laetiporus and other brown rot polypore genera in North America
- Relationships among North American and Japanese Laetiporus isolates inferred from molecular phylogenetics and single-spore incompatibility reactions
- Incompatibility groups among North American populations Laetiporus sulphureus sensu lato
XML: View XML