Skip to Main Content
Forest land cover change (1975-2000) in the Greater Border Lakes regionAuthor(s): Peter T. Wolter; Brian R. Sturtevant; Brian R. Miranda; Sue M. Lietz; Phillip A. Townsend; John Pastor
Source: Research Map NRS-3. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 17 p. [Printed map included].
Publication Series: Research Map (RMAP)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.81 MB)
DescriptionThis document and accompanying maps describe land cover classifications and change detection for a 13.8 million ha landscape straddling the border between Minnesota, and Ontario, Canada (greater Border Lakes Region). Land cover classifications focus on discerning Anderson Level II forest and nonforest cover to track spatiotemporal changes in forest cover. Multi-temporal Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM), Enhanced Thematic Mapper Plus (ETM+), and Multi-Spectral Scanner (MSS) data from 1972 to 2000 were used to classify forest cover types and disturbances at 5-year intervals. A composite dataset depicting the period of forest disturbance was produced using the 1975-2000 sequence of land cover data. These land cover change data were produced to facilitate analysis of forest disturbance patterns, to support landscape simulation modeling, and to support cross-ownership land management within the region. A double-sided fold-out map shows A) forest land cover change across differently managed forests, and B) classified period of forest canopy disturbance for the entire study area. Digital versions of the map are available online, as are the datasets and code used to produce them.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationWolter, Peter T.; Sturtevant, Brian R.; Miranda, Brian R.; Lietz, Sue M.; Townsend, Phillip A.; Pastor, John. 2012. Forest land cover change (1975-2000) in the Greater Border Lakes region. Research Map NRS-3. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 17 p. [Printed map included].
KeywordsLand cover classification, land cover change, forest disturbance, land cover change map
- Border Lakes land-cover classification
- Change detection with heterogeneous data using ecoregional stratification, statistical summaries and a land allocation algorithm
- Comparing Forest/Nonforest Classifications of Landsat TM Imagery for Stratifying FIA Estimates of Forest Land Area
XML: View XML