Skip to Main Content
Inheritance of restriction fragment length polymorphisms, random amplified polymorphic DNAs and isozymes in coastal Douglas-firAuthor(s): K.D. Jermstad; A.M. Reem; J.R. Henifin; N.C. Wheeler; D.B Neale
Source: Theoretic and Applied Genetics 89:758-766
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.64 MB)
DescriptionA total of 225 new genetic loci [151 restriction fragment length polymorphisms (RFLP) and 74 random amplified polymorphic DNAs (RAPD)] in coastal Douglas- fir [Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco var. menziesii] have been identified using a three-generation outbred pedigree. The Mendelian inheritance of 16 RFLP loci and 29 RAPD loci was demonstrated based on single-locus segregation in a sample of F 2 progeny. One RFLP locus, PtIFG2025, showed segregation distortion. Probe pPtIFG2025 is a loblolly pine cDNA probe encoding for rbcS. The 16 RFLP loci and 23 allozyme loci were also assayed in a sample of 16 Douglas-fir seed-orchard clones. Allelism was determined at 11 of the 16 RFLP loci. RFLPs were able to detect slightly more variation (4.0 alleles per locus) than allozymes (3.1 alleles per locus). The inheritance of an additional 80 RAPD loci was determined based on haploid segregation analysis of megagametophytes from parent tree 013-1. Once 200-300 markers are identified and placed on a genetic map, quantitative trait loci affecting bud phenology will be mapped.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJermstad, K.D.; Reem, A.M.; Henifin, J.R.; Wheeler, N.C.; Neale, D.B. 1994. Inheritance of restriction fragment length polymorphisms, random amplified polymorphic DNAs and isozymes in coastal Douglas-fir. Theor Appl Genet 89:758-766.
KeywordsDouglas-fir, Genetic mapping, RFLP, RAPD, allozymes
- A sex-averaged genetic linkage map in coastal Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii [Mirb] Franco var menziesii) based on RFLP and RAPD markers
- Inheritance of RFLP loci in a loblolly pine three-generation pedigree
- Randomly amplified polymorphic DNA linkage relationships in different Norway spruce populations
XML: View XML