Skip to Main Content
Association of Pinus banksiana Lamb. and Populus tremuloides Michx. seedling fine roots with Sistotrema brinkmannii (Bres.) J. Erikss. (Basidiomycotina)Author(s): Lynette R. Potvin; Dana L. Richter; Martin F. Jurgensen; R. Kasten Dumroese
Source: Mycorrhiza. 22: 631-638.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (861.69 KB)
DescriptionSistotrema brinkmannii (Bres.) J. Erikss. (Basidiomycotina, Hydanaceae), commonly regarded as a wood decay fungus, was consistently isolated from bareroot nursery Pinus banksiana Lamb. seedlings. S. brinkmannii was found in ectomycorrhizae formed by Thelephora terrestris Ehrh., Laccaria laccata (Scop.) Cooke, and Suillus luteus (L.) Roussel. In pure culture combinations with sterile P. banksiana and Populus tremuloides Michx. seedlings, S. brinkmannii colonized root cortical cells while not killing seedlings. Colonization by S. brinkmannii appeared to be intracellular but typical endo- or ectomycorrhizae were not formed. The fungus did not decay roots, although it was shown to produce cellulase in enzyme tests. Results suggest a unique association between S. brinkmannii and seedling roots that is neither mycorrhizal nor detrimental; its exact function remains to be elucidated.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPotvin, Lynette R.; Richter, Dana L.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Dumroese, R. Kasten. 2012. Association of Pinus banksiana Lamb and Populus tremuloides Michx seedling fine roots with Sistotrema brinkmannii (Bres) J Erikss (Basidiomycotina). Mycorrhiza. 22: 631-638.
KeywordsSistotrema brinkmannii, Pinus banksiana, Populus tremuloides
- Earthworms, arthropods and plant litter decomposition in aspen (Populus tremuloides) and lodgepole pine(Pinus contorta) forests in Colorado, USA
- Quaking aspen reproduce from seed after wildfire in the mountains of southeastern Arizona
- Populus tremuloides mortality near the southwestern edge of its range
XML: View XML